Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Defusing the Clutter-Bomb

Stuff, stuff, stuff. I don't know about you, but I feel like our life is drowning in Stuff at the moment. Stuff of the tangible kind, especially after spending Christmas interstate with 2 small children and some very generous relatives. Sadly it's not a new phenomenon however - when we moved to Sydney, we shifted 40-something boxes from our tiny two bedroom unit. Even the moving men expressed a large degree of surprise at how we were able to fit that much Stuff in our home to begin with.

Being away for 3 weeks and living largely out of 3 bags has made me realise all the more just how much we have that we really don't use, let alone need and possibly even want! Add to that we're still living in a 2 bedroom unit, albeit a fair bit bigger than our Melbourne digs. My plan for this year, well, hopefully the next month or so, is to work through our home and sort out what we really want/need and get RID of the rest, be it through ebay, freecycle or offering good Stuff to our neighbours.

So very much Stuff, and yet I still find myself obsessively searching ebay for a good deal on an espresso machine... I think it's going to take me a while before I get this whole Stuff/materialism thing really sorted.

Image by A.Currell from Flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment